Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 3 hours
- 18-22 pieces (2-2.4kg) oxtail or beef shin
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 dried chillies
- 2 thumb-sized pieces fresh ginger, thinly sliced (18 slices)
- rind of ½ orange, removed with a potato peeler so there is no pith
- 1 whole head garlic, cloves peeled, halved and trimmed
- Pre-heat oven to 220°C and line a large roasting dish with baking paper for easy clean-up. Season the oxtails with salt and pepper and arrange in a single layer in the roasting dish. Roast for 30 minutes until well browned.
- Remove oxtails from the roasting dish, discard fat and place oxtails into a lidded casserole dish. In a separate bowl, combine the tomato juice, water, sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. Scatter in the star anise, chillies, sliced ginger, orange rind and garlic cloves.
- Pour the liquid over the browned meat, cover with a piece of baking paper to stop any exposed meat from drying out and cover the dish with a tight fitting lid. Turn the oven down to 180˚C and cook for 2½ hours until very tender. This dish can be cooked a day or two ahead, in which case bake for 2 hours then reheat for 40 minutes at 180˚C.