Serves 8/ Vegetarian
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 250g (9oz) brown sugar
- 350g (12oz) rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2cm (3/4 in) chunks
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 eggs
- 200ml (7fl oz) buttermilk or sour milk
- 75ml (2 ¾ fl oz) vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 generous tsp of grated ginger
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. Melt the butter in a medium-sized ovenproof frying pan (measuring 25cm (10in) in diameter). Stir in half the sugar and cook over a gentle heat for about 2 minutes. Add the rhubarb – there’s no need to stir – and remove from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl. Whisk the eggs in a measuring jug or small bowl and add the remaining sugar, buttermilk, oil and ginger. Mix together, then pour into the dry ingredients and whisk to form a liquid batter. Pour this over the rhubarb in the pan and plate over together in one quick movement. Serve warm or at room temperature with softly whipped cream.