Makes 400ml (14fl oz) / Vegetarian
If your children regularly eat ketchup, then you might want to give them something a bit healthier and more delicious, like this real tomato ketchup. If you think they won’t like this version, ease them into it by mixing some into their usual type and gradually adjust their taste. This is definitely best made in the summer with ripe red tomatoes.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 225g (8oz) onions peeled and roughly chopped
- 600g (1lb 6oz) tomatoes, roughly chopped (no need to peel)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 75ml (2 ¾ fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 75g (3 oz) sugar
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions and toss over a medium heat until cooked and a little golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes, until very soft.
- Remove from the heat and whiz in a liquidiser or food processor. Pour through
- a sieve into a clean saucepan and simmer, uncovered and stirring regularly, for another 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick.
- Pour into sterilised jars or bottles (see page 177) and cover with lids.