Serves 6/ Vegetarian
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 250g (9oz) peas, fresh or frozen
- 100g (4oz) spinach
- 950ml (1 pint 12 fl oz) vegetable (or chicken) stock
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g (12oz) risotto rice, such as arborio or carnaroli
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine
- 12 stalks of asparagus, ends trimmed and cut in half lengthways
- 100g (4oz) Parmesan cheese to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas mark 4. On the hob, heat half the olive oil in an ovenproof saucepan, add the peas and spinach and cook, stirring all the time, for 2 minutes, until the spinach wilts. Add about 50ml (2fl oz) of the stock and puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the remaining olive oil, add the onion and garlic and season with salt and pepper. Cover with a lid and sweat over a gentle heat until soft but not coloured. Add the risotto rice and stir it around in the saucepan for a minute, then add the remaining stock and the wine. Stir and bring it up to the boil, cover with the lid and all the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the vegetable puree and set aside with the lid on.
- Bring a saucepan of water up to the boil, add a good pinch of salt and the asparagus. Boil for 2-3 minutes or until it is just tender, then drain. Serve the risotto in warm bowls with the asparagus an Parmesan arranged on top.