Makes 8 wedges / Vegetarian
Quesadillas are essentially the Central American toasted cheese sandwich! We make many versions of it at home, depending on what is in the fridge. Our children love plain cheese quesadillas or quesadillas filled with chicken or a little spinach (very handy as you can sneak it in almost unnoticed to greens-wary little ones). These are perfect for a snack or TV supper, and they are great for grown-ups too. I quite often have guacamole and tomato salsa with mine, as they do in Mexico, or else for a very fast sauce try Crème Fraîche with Sweet Chilli (see page 139). Not all children like chilli, but one of our boys actually likes it, so I sometimes leave it in for him.
Variation: Quesadillas with Chicken
- Make as for the basic quesadillas, but add 75g (3oz) shredded cooked chicken with the grated cheese.
- Quesadillas with Spinach
- Make as for the basic quesadillas, but add one handful of baby spinach leaves (about 15g (1/2oz)) with the grated cheese.
- 2 wheat flour tortillas
- 100g (4oz) cheese (I like a mixture of Cheddar,
- Gruyère and mozzarella), grated
- 1 spring onion, trimmed and sliced (optional)
- 1/2 green or red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely
- (optional – chillies can be very hot!)
- VARIATION (Quesadillas with Chicken)
- 300g (11 oz) porridge oats
- 100g (4oz) pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or a mixture of the two
- 50g (2oz) dessicated coconut
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 200g (7o) golden syrup
- 150g (5oz) soft brown sugar
- 150g (5oz) dried apricots, chopped
- 125g (4 ½ oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Heat a frying pan slightly. Place one tortilla in the pan and sprinkle with all the grated cheese, the sliced spring onion and chilli, if using. Cover with the other tortilla and press down with a spatula or your hands.
- The cheese will have started melting at this stage and the tortilla on the bottom should be golden brown.
- When it is, carefully turn it over and then cook the other side for another couple of minutes, until it is golden and all the cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a board and cut into wedges. Serve immediately on its own or with Crème Fraîche with Sweet Chilli or Tomato and Cucumber Salsa.