Makes 12 / Vegetarian
These little drop scones (or crumpets) are quite delicious and are very easy to make.
They are fabulous for brunch or for a quick snack in the afternoon. My children love making these after school when they are always a bit peckish.
- 100g (4oz) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 25g (1oz) caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 125ml (4fl oz) milk
- Drop of sunflower oil, for greasing
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl, add the sugar and salt and stir to mix. Make a well in the centre, crack in the egg and whisk, gradually drawing in the flour from the edge. Add the milk gradually, whisking all the time, to form a smooth batter.
- Lightly grease a frying pan and warm it over a moderate heat. Drop 3 tablespoons of the batter into the pan, keeping them well apart so they do not stick together. Cook for about 2 minutes or until bubbles appear on the surface and begin to burst and the drop scones are golden underneath, then flip them over and cook on the other side for a minute or until golden on this side as well.
- Remove from the pan and serve warm with butter and jam, apple jelly, Lemon Curd (see page 186) or, if you are like my children, chocolate spread! (If you wish, wrap the drop scones in a clean tea towel to keep warm while you make the rest.)