Chewy Seedy Oat and Apricot Bars
Makes about 18 bars / Vegetarian
Pack these in lunch boxes, but always be sure to steal one for yourself to enjoy with a cup of coffee once the kids have gone to school!
- 300g (11 oz) porridge oats
- 100g (4oz) pumpkin or sunflower seeds, or a mixture of the two
- 50g (2oz) dessicated coconut
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 200g (7oz) butter
- 200g (7o) golden syrup
- 150g (5oz) soft brown sugar
- 150g (5oz) dried apricots, chopped
- 125g (4 ½ oz) crunchy peanut butter
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F), Gas mark 3. Line an 18 x 28cm (7 x 11in) Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking parchment, leaving a little hanging over the edges for easy removal later.
- Place the oats, seeds, coconut and flour in a large bowl and mix together. Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan, then mix in the sugar, chopped apricots, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Pour into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until evenly combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes, or until golden and slightly firm. Allow to cool in the tin, then remove, still in the paper, and cut into 18 bars (or cut them depending on whatever size you want them to be). Store in an air-tight container for up to 1 week. These will also freeze well.