Amaretti Cookie Ice Cream with Hot Mocha Sauce
Serves 6 / vegetarian
This is the perfect dessert for the person who doesn’t like to make either pastry or cakes. It’s also great if you’re in a hurry and want to make something fabulous with minimum effort. I love the rich, intense chocolate sauce with a hint of coffee and, if you like, you can leave out the brandy. The sauce can be prepared in advance (it will keep pretty much indefinitely in the fridge), just heat gently to serve.
- For the ice cream:
- 400ml tub vanilla ice cream
- 100g (4oz) amaretti cookies,
- broken into chunks
- For the hot mocha sauce:
- 100g (4oz) chocolate
- 100ml (31/2fl oz) good strong coffee (can be left over from that morning!)
- 1 tbsp brandy (optional)
- Take the ice cream out of the freezer and allow it to soften slightly, then add the broken amaretti cookies and fold into the ice cream.
- Cover and put back in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
- To make the hot mocha sauce, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl in a low oven or microwave, or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Take off the heat and whisk in the coffee and the brandy. Place a scoop or two of ice cream in a bowl, glass or cup and drizzle generously with the hot mocha sauce.