Tagliatelle with Chicken
Prep time: 40min
Cook Time: I hour 30min
Servings: 6 – 8
- 1 (3 1/2 pound) chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Leaves from 3 rosemary sprigs, minced
- 1/3 cup sultanas, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1 pound tagliatelle
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then place it breast down in a roasting pan and roast for about 1 1/2 hours, or until well browned, turning it over toward the end to brown the breast. It’s done when the juices run clear, not pink, when you cut into the thigh. When the chicken’s nearly ready, put abundant water on for the pasta, salting it when it boils.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and take the meat off the bone, leaving all that glorious burnished skin on, and cut it into small pieces. I do much of this by just pulling, without a knife, but if you haven’t got asbestos hands, use a knife and fork or wait until it is cooler.
- For the sauce, pour all the juices from the roasting pan into a saucepan. Add the rosemary, the drained sultanas and the pine nuts. Begin to simmer the sauce when you are ready to cook the pasta.
- Cook and drain the pasta, and toss it with the sauce, chicken pieces, and parsley in a large warmed bowl.