Prep time: 5min
Cook Time: 10min
- 1 rump steak (1-inch thick) weighing approximately 1 pound 4 ounces
- Oil, for greasing
- 5 stalks fresh thyme to give 1 tablespoon of stripped leaves
- 2 bruised cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon Maldon salt or 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- Good grinding fresh pepper
- Cut away the fat from around the edge of the steak while you heat a griddle or pan.
- Brush the steak with oil to prevent it sticking to the griddle or pan, and then cook for 3 minutes a side plus 1 minute each side turned again (this gives you pretty griddle marks) for desirably rare meat; the lemon in the post-hoc marinade ‘cooks’ it a little more.
- While the steak is cooking, place the thyme leaves, garlic, oil, lemon zest, juice, salt and pepper in a wide shallow dish.
- Once the steak is cooked, place it in the dish of marinade for 4 minutes a side, before removing it to a board and slicing thinly on the diagonal.