Prep time: 30 min
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 8 free-range egg whites
- 500g/1lb 2oz caster sugar
- 4 tsp cornflour
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- For the topping:
- 650ml/1 pint double cream
- 10 passion fruit
- 10 fresh or canned lychees (drained if canned), peeled, stones removed
- 300g/10½oz raspberries
- 25g/1oz icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment and draw a rough 25cm/10in diameter circle onto it with a non-toxic pencil.
- In a bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed, then whisk in the sugar, one tablespoonful at a time, until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed.
- Sprinkle the cornflour, vinegar and vanilla extract over the egg white, and fold in lightly with a metal spoon.
- Spoon the meringue onto the baking parchment within the marked circle and, using a spatula, flatten the top and smooth the sides.
- Place into the oven and immediately reduce the heat to 120C/250F/Gas ½. Cook for an hour, then turn off the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Once cool, remove the meringue base from the oven (you can keep the meringue in an airtight container for a couple of days or store in the freezer for up to one month).
- When you are ready to assemble the pavlova, invert the cooled meringue disk onto a large plate or a serving stand, and peel off the baking parchment.
- For the topping, in a mixing bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Spoon the cream onto the meringue base, spreading it onto the edges in a swirly fashion.
- Cut the passion fruit in half, and scoop out the seeds, and any pulp and juice, into a bowl.
- Tear the lychees into pieces and add to the passion fruit.
- Place the raspberries and icing sugar into a food processor and blend to a smooth sauce.
- Dollop the passion fruit, lychees and their juices over the cream topping. Using a spoon, drizzle raspberry sauce over the top in zig-zag patterns. Place any remaining raspberry sauce into a small jug for guests to add to their slices as they eat. Serve immediately.