Mixed Greens with Pancetta and Shaved Parmesan
Prep Time: 10min
Cook Time: 4min
- 8 ounces pancetta or slab bacon, cut into 1-inch long by 1/2-inch wide rectangles
- 3/4 cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 bag mixed baby lettuce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 8 ounces hard cheese, such as Parmesan or aged Cheddar
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the diced bacon and gently cook until slightly crisp and browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While the bacon is cooking, remove the greens from the bag, rinse and then pat dry and add to a large salad bowl. Once the bacon is cooked, use a slotted spoon to remove it from the pan and place into the bowl with the greens, tossing to combine.
- Take the pan with the bacon fat off the heat and add the remaining olive oil. Add the Dijon mustard to the pan and stir to combine. Add the red wine vinegar, stir to combine.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons over the salad greens, and toss. Serve the remaining dressing at the table. Using a vegetable peeler, peel large slices of the cheese, place on top of the salad and serve.