- Tartare Sauce:
- 250ml Mayonnaise
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 10ml finely chopped gherkins
- 2 spring onions finely chopped
- 15ml chopped fresh parsley or 5ml dried
- Fish in Batter:
- 250ml (140g) Snowflake self-rising flour
- 5ml salt
- 15ml cooking oil
- 250ml beer
- 15ml chopped fixed mixed herbs or 5ml dried
- 800g frozen hake fillet, thawed slightly
- Extra Snowflake flour for coating
- Cooking oil for deep-frying
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Batter: Sift flour and salt together. Add oil and beer and whisk until batter is smooth, thick and lump free.
- Add herbs and leave batter to stand for about 10 minutes.
- Coat fish with extra flour, dip into batter, and gently drop fish into hot oil.
- Deep-fry until golden brown. Remove fish from oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Serve immediately with tartare sauce.
Watch the Episode