Caramalised Tarte Tatin
- Puff Pastry
- 500 ml (280 g) Snowflake flour
- 2 ml salt
- 125 ml ice-cold water
- 5 ml fresh lemon juice
- 200 g cold butter, cut into 1 cm thick slices
- 30 ml butter or margarine
- 45 ml soft brown caramel sugar
- 5 ml balsamic vinegar
- 500 g cherry or mini Italian tomatoes
- 15 ml chopped fresh origanum or 5 ml dried
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Combine water and lemon juice. Add to dry ingredients and cut in with a knife. Knead lightly to a firm pastry.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface into a rectangular shape of about 24 x 32 cm.
- Place butter slices in centre of pastry and fold corners to the middle to make an envelope, enclosing butter.
- Roll out pastry to the same rectangular shape. Fold in three by turning bottom third up and top third down. Cover and refrigerate for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat rolling and folding in three. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Repeat rolling and folding pastry six times, refrigerate when necessary.
- Roll out pastry to a thickness of 3mm, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Melt butter in a large, heavy based frying pan. Add sugar and vinegar and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes until mixture starts to caramelise.
- Add tomatoes and origanum and stir for a few minutes. Turn out into a greased 24 cm ovenproof dish.
- Cut pastry slightly larger than the size of the baking dish. Place on top of tomatoes and tuck under the edges.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 °C for about 20 minutes. Leave to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto a large serving plate so that the tomatoes are on top. Serve immediately.
Watch the Insert Here