Vietnamese rice paper
- 100 grams rice vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 bunch fresh mint (roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch thai basil (roughly chopped)
- ½ cucumber (cut into thin batons)
- 6 spring onions (finely sliced)
- 12 rice pancakes
- soy sauce for serving (optional)
- Soak the vermicelli according to the instructions on the packet, and drain once the translucent threads are rehydrated.
- Flavour the vermicelli with the rice vinegar, soy and fish sauces, and then add the chopped herbs, cucumber and spring onions. Mix gently with your hands to try to combine the noodles, herbs and vegetables.
- Soak the rice pancakes (again, according to packet instructions) in a shallow bowl of hot water and then lay each one on a tea towel to pat dry. Run a fairly narrow strip of noodle mixture down the middle of the pancake, fold over one half and then carefully roll it up as tightly as you can. Slice each roll into four and then arrange them on a plate.
- If you want, pour some soy sauce into a few little bowls for dipping the rolls into as you eat.
Additional information – for gluten free use tamari instead of soy sauce.