Caramelised Pineapple with hot chocolate sauce
- For the pineapple
- 1 ripe pineapple
- approx. 250 grams demerara sugar
- For the chocolate sauce
- 200 grams dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
- 125 ml malibu
- 120 ml double cream
You will need 14 bamboo skewers soaked in cold water to stop them catching fire in the heat of the barbecue or grill.
- Preheat the grill or barbecue. Cut the top and bottom off the pineapple and, working vertically, slice the skin off the fruit. Cut into quarters and then into about three pieces again lengthways so that you have wedges of pineapple. Cut out the woody core and thread the wedges on to the soaked bamboo skewers lengthways and arrange these in a shallow dish.
- Put the chocolate, broken up into pieces, into a thick-bottomed pan along with the Malibu and melt over a low heat. Then, stirring, pour in the cream, plus any juice that has gathered from the fruit. When the sauce is thick, smooth and hot, pour into a bowl with a ladle, or enough little bowls to give one per person.
- Lay the pineapple kebabs on a sheet of foil and either grill or barbecue the pineapple, thickly coating it with demerara sugar first, until it caramelises and scorches in the heat.
- Take off the barbecue and lay them on a large plate and let everyone take them as they want, dipping the pineapple skewers into the hot chocolate sauce as they eat.