Greek Inspired Pizza
Yield: 8 servings.
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- About ½ pound whole wheat pizza dough, store-bought is fine
- ½ cup spicy garlic tomato sauce
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 to 4-ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Handful of spinach
- 4 oyster mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Pinch of dried Greek oregano
- Handful of kalamata olives, pitted
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- In medium skillet, combine olive oil and butter, onions and salt and pepper and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until onions begin to soften and take on a golden brown, caramel colour, about 20 minutes. Stir to ensure onions don’t stick to the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Using your hands, stretch and pull ball of dough into 10 to 12-inch rounds depending on how thin you want your crust. Alternatively roll with a rolling pin.
- Sprinkle some flour or cornmeal on the pizza pan. Place a round of dough onto pan. Evenly spoon over tomato sauce. Sprinkle evenly with feta, mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, oregano and olives. Season the pizzas with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake until topping is bubbly and crust is golden brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Cut into 8 slices.