Yield: 12 servings.
- 4 to 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large sweet onion (Vidalia or Spanish), finely diced
- 2 small baby eggplant, finely diced
- 2 yellow pepper, finely diced
- Coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, preferable Greek oregano
- ¼ cup currants (optional), (soak in hot water if dry)
- 4 large Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped or torn
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and sauté onion on medium-high heat. Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes until soft and golden. Remove onion and reserve.
- In same skillet, heat remaining olive oil and sauté eggplant until golden and soft, about 5 to 7 minutes, tossing often to prevent burning. Add yellow pepper, cooked onions, oregano, currants and tomatoes. Cook until mixture is thick and juice has evaporated, about 5 to 10 minutes, Add balsamic vinegar and remove from heat. Stir in basil.