Cooking on a budget doesn’t mean sacrificing flavour. In this episode Hilary has some great dinner ideas that won’t cost the earth, with a vegetable lasagne, beefy hedgehog meatballs and a barley and watermelon salad. Then for something sweet, a lemon meringue roll.
- 30ml (2 tbsp) oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 baby marrows, sliced in ribbons
- 1 butternut, peeled and sliced
- 1 cabbage, chopped
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 45ml (3 tbsp) flour
- 600ml milk
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard powder
- 200g cheddar, grated
- 12 sheets lasagne.
- Heat oil and fry onions until soft. Add garlic, carrot, marrows, butternut and cabbage. Stir-fry over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, nutmeg, oregano and seasoning.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In another pot, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
- Add the milk and stir until thickened. Season.
- Add mustard and of the cheese.
- Pour half the vegetable mixture into a large ovenproof dish and cover with half the lasagne sheets.
- Pour over half the cheese sauce.
- Repeat the layers, ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake at 180°C until golden brown and bubbling, about 30 minutes.