- Pickled Peppers:
- 3 large peppers (red, green and yellow)
- 250ml (1 cup) white vinegar
- 250ml (1 cup) water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5ml (1 tsp) lightly crushed black peppercorns
- 15ml (1 tbsp) coarse salt
- 50g (¼ cup) sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds
- 40g (⅓ cup) dried breadcrumbs
- 500g ricotta cheese
- 125ml (½ cup) grated parmesan cheese
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- rocket to serve
- For the pickled peppers, core and seed the peppers and cut them into large chunks rather than slices. Pour boiling water over them and set aside. In a pot, combine the vinegar, water, garlic, peppercorns, salt, sugar and coriander seeds and bring to the boil. Drain the peppers, add to the vinegar mixture and boil for about 10 minutes. The peppers must retain their crispness. Set aside to cool.
- For the tartlets, spray four loose-bottomed tart pans with cooking spray and dust with some of the breadcrumbs to coat. Combine the remaining breadcrumbs with the ricotta, parmesan, eggs and garlic and mix well. Spoon into the pans and bake at 180°C for 20 minutes until just turning golden brown.
- Serve the tartlets warm, topped with the pickled peppers, a drizzle of the pickling liquid and extra shavings of parmesan, with rocket.