- `6 chicken breast fillets
- 500ml (2cups) buttermilk
- 10ml (2tsp) salt
- 180g (1 ½ cups) flour
- 10ml (2tsp) onion powder
- 15ml (1tbsp) Cajun spice powder
- 5ml (1tsp) cayenne pepper
- 7,5ml (11/2 tsp) dried oregano
- 5ml (1tsp) turmeric
- Oil for deep frying
- Cut the chicken breast fillets into small equal sized cubes. Pour buttermilk over the chicken, mix the salt through and set aside to stand for an hour.
- In a large plastic bag combine the flour, onion powder, Cajun spice, cayenne pepper, oregano, turmeric and pepper. Toss to mix. In a deep pot preheat oil for deep frying. When hot enough that a cube of bread browns in seconds take one quarter of the chicken cubes out of the buttermilk and dip into seasoned flour.
- Carefully drop individual pieces of chicken into the hot oil. Fry till golden brown and remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Continue with the remaining chicken. Serve warm with this unusual popcorn salad.