- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 2-5 red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 60g pancetta, cut into strips (optional)
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- salt, to taste
- 500g penne pasta
- 125ml ( cup) fresh basil, torn
- Parmesan shavings, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chilli and garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the pancetta, if using, and cook until just crisp.
- Add the tomatoes and salt and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook the penne in plenty of salted boiling water until al dente. Drain.
- Add the basil to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss the sauce through the pasta with the Parmesan and serve immediately.