- 100g butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) crushed garlic
- 5ml (1 tsp) fennel seeds
- 3 green cardamom pods, bashed
- 2 x 2.5cm cinnamon sticks
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2.5ml ( tsp) ground turmeric
- 2.5ml ( tsp) garam masala
- 250g mixture of portabella and button mushrooms
- 125ml ( cup) plain yoghurt
- 375ml (1½ cups) fresh cream
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Heat butter in a saucepan over moderate heat and sauté onion and garlic until softened and very lightly browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon and chilli to the pan and toss until fragrant.
- Stir in turmeric, masala and mushrooms.
- As it reaches boiling point, stir in yoghurt.
- Blend the fried onion and garlic into a paste and add to the pan with the cream.
- Season to taste and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice, topped with coriander.