Corn Dogs with Tangy Sauce
- 125ml (½ cup) tomato sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) wholegrain mustard
- 30ml (2 tbsp) finely chopped gherkins
- Corn Dogs:
- 12 viennas or frankfurters, halved (optional)
- 120g (1 cup) polenta or mielie meal
- 70g (½ cup) self-raising flour, sifted
- 15-30ml (1-2 tbsp) sugar
- 50g (½ cup) grated cheddar cheese
- 125ml ( cup) milk
- 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
- 60g butter, melted
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Push a wooden skewer into each sausage.
- Combine the polenta, flour, sugar and cheese in a bowl, making a well in the centre.
- In a jug, mix together the milk, eggs and butter and pour into the centre of the dry ingredients, stirring until you have a smooth batter.
- Dip the sausages in the batter to coat and deep-fry in hot oil for 2 minutes or until brown.
- Drain on paper towel and serve with the sauce.