No one can resist good Italian food, and its so quick and easy to make yourself. In this episode Hilary prepares asaragus and tomato pitzette, chicken saltimbocca and a fiery penne arribiata. And for some picnic food, an antipasti loaf along with a sesame and poppy seed olive oil cake.
- Pizza Base:
- 500g bread flour
- 15ml (1tbsp) salt
- 5ml (1tsp) sugar
- 1 sachet instant yeast
- 60ml (4tbsp) olive oil
- About 250ML (1 cup) warm water
- 12 fresh asparagus spears
- 60ml (4tbsp) ready-made basil pesto ( or another preferred flavour)
- 200g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 18 cherry tomatoes
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- For the base combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Combine the olive oil and water and use to bring the flour together.
- Knead gently then tip onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes. Cover and set aside in a warm place till double in size. Knock back the bread dough and divide into 12 pieces about the size of a gold ball. Roll each ball into a circle on a lightly floured surface and place on a spray baking tray.
- Trim the asparagus, cut each spear in half and blanch in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Spread the pesto on the pizzette bases and top with mozzarella slices. Scatter over asparagus and tomatoes and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden and bubbling.
- Serve sprinkled with extra Parmesan cheese and garnish with fresh basil.