The Better for you Breakfast Sandwich
You can also make these as open-faced sandwiches, without the toast on top.
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 8 slices of very thin whole-wheat English muffin
- 4 deli-thin slices low-fat Cheddar, or Swiss cheese
- 4 Deli-thin slices low-sodium ham
- 4 large eggs
- 4 slices of tomato
- Spray olive oil
- Dried Oregano
- Salt and pepper for tasting
Preheat oven to 350°F. Fill a large, deep skillet of water to a depth of 4 inches. Add vinegar and bring to a steady simmer.
- Arrange the bread on a baking sheet, using a round biscuit cutter, cut each slice into a round. Cut the cheese and ham slices into 3-inch rounds using a round biscuit or cookie cutter. Place a slice of cheese on each of the bottom halves. Transfer to the oven and bake until cheese melts and top halves are toasted, about 4 minutes. Place ham slices on top halves and bake until warmed through, about 1 minute.
- In a separate non-stick sauté pan over med high heat add 3 spritz’s of olive oil spray, sauté tomato slice for 1 minute on each side then season with salt, pepper and fresh chopped oregano. Place on bread.
- Break an egg into a small bowl, hold the edge of the bowl close to the water, and tilt the egg into the water. Repeat with the remaining eggs. Cook until whites are cooked through, but yolk is still runny, about 3 minutes. Carefully remove the eggs, one at a time, with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
- Remove the toasted bread from the oven. Arrange an egg over each bottom half, and sandwich with top halves. Serve immediately.