Guacamole takes the place of mayonnaise, adding richness, and lots and lots of flavor.
TIP: Adding chopped vegetables, like the diced green chilies in this recipe – to lean ground turkey, keeps the meat juicy, while boosting flavor.
- Sweet Potato Fries
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 1/3 pounds lean ground turkey (can be cut to 1 pound)
- 4-ounce can diced green chilis, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, if sautéing
- 3 ounces 50%-reduced-fat pepper-jack cheese, cut into 8 thin slices
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, seeded, and skinned
- Juice of 1/2 lime (about 4 teaspoons)
- 4 (2 1/2 ounce) whole wheat Kaiser rolls, split in half
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- 4 thick slices ripe tomato
- For the fries, preheat the oven to 425˚F. Cut the potatoes crosswise, on the diagonal, into 1/2-inch-thick rounds; cut rounds into 1/2-inch-thick, finger-shaped pieces. Toss potato in a bowl with the oil, chili powder, and salt. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until fries are browned, and tender, 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and sprinkle with a little more salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix ground turkey with the chilies, salt and pepper. Shape into patties and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Cut a small slices of ½ of the avocado. Dip a few drops of lime juice; set aside.
- Heat a large grill pan or nonstick skillet coated with the olive oil, over medium heat. Add turkey patties, and cook until browned on one side, 4 minutes. Flip, reduce the heat to low, cover (if using a skillet), and cook until the juices run pale pink, about 4 more minutes; top with the cheese during last 1 minute.
- Toast the rolls in the oven, or in a toaster oven, or grill 1 minute each side.
- To assemble, spread both sides of each roll with about 1 tablespoon salsa. Top the bottom half with lettuce, add a tomato slice and a burger, and a 3 slices of avocado on top. Add the top half of the roll. Squeeze lime juice over the fries, and serve with the burgers.