Low-Fat Mac and Cheese
To make fresh bread crumbs, process a slice of whole wheat bread in the food processor.
- 2 cups whole- or multi-grain elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk, warmed for 1 minute in the microwave
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 1/4 cups) WE CAN USE HALF LOW-FAT, HALF REGULAR CHEDDAR HERE TOO, BUT THE TEXTURE WILL BE SOMEWHAT LESS SMOOTH
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- Preheat the broiler.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package’s directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking constantly, until golden, about 2 minutes. Continue whisking and add the milk in a slow, steady stream. Bring the mixture to a steady simmer, whisking constantly, and whisk until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta in a colander. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the cheese, and stir until the cheese melts. Immediately add the hot, drained pasta and stir until well-coated. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon salt, a pinch of pepper, and the nutmeg.
- Divide mac and cheese among four 6-ounce ovenproof ramekins, and sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs over each. Broil until crumbs are golden and crisp, 1 to 2 minutes. (Watch carefully; do not let crumbs burn.) Serve immediately.