Healthy Potato Skins
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bag baby spinach (about 9oz.)
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. low fat free cream cheese
- ¼ cup low fat buttermilk
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350*. Place sweet potatoes directly on oven rack, bake for 45 minutes or until fork tender. Meanwhile, in deep sauté pan heat oil, cook onion for 2-3 minutes until soft, add garlic and cook one minute more. Add entire bag of spinach and scallion, cover and cook 3-4 minutes until spinach has wilted. In another sauté pan cook bacon, when crisp transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. When cool chop bacon into small pieces, reserve for later.
- When sweet potatoes are cooked, allow to cool for 5 minutes then carefully slice in half, scoop out inside of potato into a bowl. Add cream cheese, buttermilk, salt and pepper and mash together until smooth. Add spinach and scallion mixture, stir well.
- Using a pastry brush lightly coat the outside of each potato skin with the vegetable oil. Fill each of the shells with the filling and top with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. Transfer back to the baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown and skins are crispy. Top with bits of bacon and serve.