Frosted Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- Frosting (61 cals/serving)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, and cut into cubes
- Cupcakes (104 cals per cupcake)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely shredded, peeled zucchini (about 2 small)
- Combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in a heatproof bowl set over (not in) a pan of simmering water. Stir continuously over heat until the mixture is warm and the sugar is completely dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the heat. (**this was done on heat the entire time**) Using a handheld electric or standing mixer, set on high beat until the mixture is entirely cooled, glossy, and stiff, about 7 minutes. Beat in the lemon zest, and add the butter cubes, a few at a time, beating until the butter is almost fully incorporated after each addition. Beat until smooth – once smooth, take care not to over beat or the mixture will get lumpy. Let frosting set and cool in the refrigerate(at least 30 minutes), while making the cupcakes.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Arrange a rack in the center of the oven. Line a 12-muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder; set aside. In another bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla with a handheld electric or standing mixer until thick and light colored, about 4 minutes. Beat in the zucchini on medium speed until fully incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed until fully incorporated, scraping down the bowl once with a spatula during beating. Use a 1/3 cup measure to spoon into the muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 20-25 minutes, turning the pans midway through baking. Transfer cupcakes out onto a wire rack and cool completely before icing with the chilled frosting.