(2 stacks per person)
- 4 eggplants, thinly sliced rounds, about 2 pounds
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 cup store-bought pesto
- 4-6 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup feta, crumbled fresh lemons for garnish
- ½ c basil
- Lay the eggplant slices on a sheet pan, lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice, and lightly brush the eggplant slices.
- Heat the broiler or grill pan, or low gas grill. Grill or broil the eggplant, turning over occasionally, until eggplant is very tender, 6 to 10 minutes, do not let them burn. Cook low and slow for sweetness. Remove and reserve.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- On baking pan, arrange 4 largest eggplant rounds side by side and spread each with thin layer of pesto, then top each with 1 of 4 largest tomato rounds. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper and top each with about 1 tablespoon feta and a pinch of chopped mint. Continue to layer, ending with cheese.
- Bake in the oven (or on the grill) until cheese begins to melt, about 3-4 minutes.
(Note if kids don’t like pesto or feta you can change it up to tomato sauce and mozzarella)