Skinny Down-Home Chicken Pot Pie
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1.5 oz)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 leek, chopped (about 1 oz)
- 1 large carrot, chopped (about 1 oz)
- 1 celery stalk (about 1 oz)
- 2 red potato, skin on, diced (about 6 oz)
- 2 turnip, peeled and diced (about 4 oz)
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into small cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- 4 sheets of phyllo dough
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for brushing
You will also need
- 1 9” x 9” cake pan
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Thaw 4 sheets of phyllo dough overnight in the refrigerator or one hour before using. Bring the chicken stock to a simmer and reserve warm.
- In a 6-quart pot, add the olive oil and flour and cook to a blonde roux. Add the onion, garlic, leek, carrot, celery, red potato, and turnips and stir with a wooden spoon, making sure the bottom does not get too dry. Add the chicken, bay leaf and sprigs of thyme and continue stirring for about 3 minutes, so that everything is coated with the roux.
- Add the warm chicken stock, stir and scrape the bottom of the pot to get all the color into the mixture and keep it from scorching. Bring to a boil then lower to a simmer. Let the mixture simmer, covered, for another 5-7 minutes until it becomes thick and the chicken is partially cooked (it should look white at this point). Remove from heat and reserve.
- Meanwhile, take 4 sheets of phyllo dough and, with a knife, cut out a square slightly larger than the rim of the 9 x 9 cake pan and brush with some olive oil. Set aside.
- Remove the bay leaf and thyme sprigs from the chicken mixture and, using a ladle or serving spoon, transfer the chicken to the cake pan. Top with the phyllo dough and carefully tuck under edges. Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 F for 30 minutes, turning the tray around halfway through the cooking time. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, cut into six portions and serve hot.