TIP: Poaching is a traditional low-fat method for cooking lean chicken breast; once poached, the meat is shredded and returned to the poaching broth to keep chicken moist.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained, if frozen
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh jalapeno, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound bone-in, skin-on split chicken breasts
- 3 medium tomatoes, 2 quartered, 1 diced
- 1 white onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1 carrot
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese (CAN USE REDUCED-FAT CHEESE HERE)
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the corn and cook, shaking the pan occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add beans, cilantro, lime, jalapeno, salt, and cayenne, and stir until well mixed; set aside.
- Put the chicken in a large saucepan and add 1 garlic clove, 1 carrot, 1 bay leaf, 3 pepper corns and enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until cooked through, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly in the broth. Remove the chicken from the broth, and remove the skin and bones. Shred the chicken into small pieces, and return the meat to the broth.
- Put the quartered tomatoes, onion, and garlic in a blender and blend until smooth. Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tomato mixture and cook, stirring until thickened and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shredded chicken to the tomato mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Warm the tortillas, one at a time, until pliable, about 1 minute. Divide the cheese, lettuce, diced tomato, bean mixture, and chicken with its sauce among the tortillas, spreading the ingredients in a line down the center. Fold in the top and bottom, then roll in the sides. Serve immediately.