Baked Rigatoni with Sausage, Broccoli and Beans
NOTES: Be careful not to use breakfast sausage. If you can’t find Italian style you can add 1/4 teaspoon of fennel seeds to the pan while you cook the sausage.
CAN REMOVE BEANS IF NEED TO REDUCE CALORIES
- 1 large head of broccoli, about 1 1/2 pounds, cut into small florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 pound rigatoni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for pan
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 pound turkey Italian style sausage with fennel (removed from casing if uncooked, or sliced thinly if precooked)*
- 1 cans Cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 pound of skim mozzarella, grated, 1/4 cup reserved
- 3/4 cup skim ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, finely grated, 1/4 cup reserved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place water for the pasta on to boil.
- Lightly oil a 9-by-13 inch gratin or baking dish.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil, and add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, broccoli, and garlic. Simmer the broccoli and garlic for 5 minutes, until softened. With a slotted spoon remove the broccoli and garlic to a large bowl. Bring the water back to the boil and add the pasta, and cook the pasta for about 2 minutes less than the package directions suggest, about 11 minutes. The pasta should be al dente, a little firm.
- Meanwhile, in a large dutch oven set over medium high heat, heat remaining the oil. Add sausage and garlic cloves from broccoli bowl, and cook, stirring frequently until meat is fully cooked and no longer pink, about 4-5 minutes, if using fresh sausage. (If using fully cooked sausage cook until surface is golden, about 2-3 minutes.) With a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to the broccoli, and drain most of oil from the pan, leaving about 2 tablespoons.
- Toss drained pasta with sausage mixture. Add beans, stock, 3/4 cup of grated cheese, mozzarella cheese and all of the ricotta. Add remaining salt and pepper. Gently toss. Transfer to prepared gratin or baking dish, top with breadcrumbs, remaining 1/4 cup of grated cheese and 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- (If making in advance, allow mixture to come to room temperature, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator)
- Bake for 25 minutes, until heated through and crusty on top.