Easy, Moderate, Complex
Yield: Serves 8 -10 as a starter or side dish.
- 7 Filo pastry sheets
- ¼ cup melted butter (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon – style mustard (30 ml)
- 7-8 large ripe tomatoes, sliced ¼ “ thick
- 2 cups grated Emmenthal cheese (450 g)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (15 g)
- 12 fresh Basil leaves for garnish
- A pinch of coarse salt
- A grinding of crack black pepper
- On a large baking sheet, brush melted butter on the filo sheets, stacking them on top of each other as you build your pie crust. You may want to stagger the sheets a little bit to ensure that the baking tray is well covered allowing a little bit of an edge.
- On the top layer, brush on the mustard. Grate the cheese and spread out over pastry to ensure even coverage. Lay tomato slices generously, all over, overlapping as needed.
- Season with coarse salt and cracked black pepper. Sprinkle on some thyme leaves
- Bake in a 400 degree oven, for about 25 minutes or until pastry is crisped and browned at the edges.
- Garnish with some fresh large basil leaves. Add another sprinkling of coarse salt. Cut into squares. Good served hot, warm or at room temperature.