Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 10-20 mins
Serves: 6 as a starter
- 4 tbsp neutral oil (eg grapeseed)
- 1 cup fresh walnut pieces
- 2 just ripe pears
- juice of ½ lemon
- 250g haloumi, thinly sliced
- 6 handfuls (150g) fresh watercress sprigs or baby spinach leaves
- 2 avocados, cut into chunks (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- Heat 3 tbsp of the neutral oil in a frypan and fry the walnuts over a medium heat until lightly browned – about 2-3 minutes. Lift out of the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel. Reserve the oil to dress the salad. Alternatively, roast them dry on an oven tray at 180°C for 12-15 minutes.
- Halve and core the pears and slice each half into 6-8 wedges. Place in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the lemon juice.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil in a frypan over a high heat. Fry the haloumi slices until they are golden on both sides.
- Place watercress or spinach in a large mixing bowl. Add the pears and their juices, the walnuts and their oil (if the walnuts have been baked, add 2 tablespoons olive oil), the fried haloumi and the avocado, if using. Season to taste with salt and pepper then toss gently. Transfer to a serving bowl or individual plates to serve.