Most of us eat watermelon by itself as a juicy fruit snack, but it also works well in savoury salads. This recipe makes a great summer side dish or starter. You can replace the mozzarella with feta or even blue cheese if you prefer.
Prep time : 5 mins
Serves: 6-8 as a starter
- 1 small or ½ large watermelon, cut into chunks
- 2 just-ripe avocados, cut into chunks
- 200g mozzarella or bocconcini, torn into small chunks
- 10-12 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- juice and finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 1 tsp very finely chopped red chilli (optional)
- salt and ground black pepper
- a small handful of basil leaves, torn roughly
- To garnish (optional)
- lime halves
- Place watermelon, avocado, mozzarella or bocconcini and tomatoes, if using, in a bowl and toss gently. Pile onto a serving platter, sprinkle with lime juice and zest, chilli, if using, and salt and pepper. Top with basil leaves and garnish with lime halves.
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad can be prepared in advance, covered and refrigerated for up to 4 hours until needed.