Prep time: 5 mins + standing
Cook time: 3-5 mins per batch
Makes: approx 30
- 2 cups chickpea or pea flour
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp coriander seeds or mustard seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, roughly ground or chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 2 cups beer
- ½ cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1½ tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 3 packed cups finely chopped or grated carrot, broccoli, peas, pumpkin, kohlrabi or other vegetables
- To fry:
- grapeseed, rice bran or other neutral oil
- Combine flour with cumin, coriander or mustard seeds, fennel seeds, curry powder and beer to form a smooth batter. Mix in the chopped fresh coriander, salt and pepper, baking soda, if using, and vegetables. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat 3-4cm of oil in a deep frypan and fry small spoonfuls of the pakora mixture in batches of 3-5 at a time for about 3 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
- Remove the pakoras from the oil with a slotted spoon. Shake off any excess oil and place them on paper towels to drain. Serve at once. Pakoras can be prepared ahead and reheated in a 200˚C oven for 5 minutes before serving.