Grilled Broccoli Salad
Broccoli is such a superfood I’m always looking for new ways to build it into everyday eating. This is one of those great café salads you can prep ahead of time and dress just before you serve. Peeling the broccoli stalks makes them tender.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Serves: 4-6 as a side
- 2 large heads broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets, stems peeled
- Garlic Chilli Dressing
- ⅓ cup neutral oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- white parts of 2 spring onions, finely chopped (reserve greens for garnish)
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped red chilli, to taste
- finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- salt and ground black pepper
- To garnish
- 12-16 shavings of parmesan or pecorino, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley or coriander leaves
- To make the Garlic Chilli Dressing, place the oil, garlic, spring onion whites and chilli in a small pan. Cook over a very gentle heat until the garlic is softened but not browned (about 10 minutes). Alternatively, bake at 150ºC for 15 minutes. Mix in lemon zest and juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make the salad, drop broccoli into a large pot of boiling salted water and boil 2 minutes. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain again and pat dry. Barbecue over medium-high heat until tender and lightly charred (about 4 minutes each side).
- When ready to serve, toss Garlic Chilli Dressing through broccoli and garnish with parmesan or pecorino, parsley or coriander and reserved spring onion greens.