A pot of freshly steamed mussels is such a simple, satisfying dish. To give these classic French flavours an Asian twist, substitute ginger for the garlic, lime for the lemon and sake for the wine.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 5 mins
Serves: as a starter or 4 as a main
- 36 mussels in their shells
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- 1 glass dry white wine
- finely grated zest of ½ a lemon
- ¼ cup coriander or parsley leaves
- To serve (optional)
- crusty bread
- Scrub mussel shells and remove their beards. Discard any mussels that do not close.
- Heat oil in a large, deep pot or frypan and sizzle garlic and chilli for about 30 seconds. Add mussels, wine and lemon zest. Cover and cook over high heat until mussels open (3-5 minutes). Discard any that do not open.
- Garnish with coriander or parsley leaves. If desired, serve with crusty bread to soak up the pot juices.