Yield: about 1 to 1 1/2 cups curd
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 30 minutes
Ease of preparation: easy
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cups lemon juice, strained
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into thin slices
- In a large, stainless steel pot, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, lemon zest and orange zest. Continue to whisk until the mixture lightens in color, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk in the lemon juice and orange juice.
- Put the pot over low heat and cook and stir constantly, until the mixture starts to thicken. Take care to scrape the sides of the pot so the curd doesnt form a crust on the edges or scorch as it cooks. After a few minutes, start gradually whisking in the slices of butter. When all of the butter is integrated, remove the pot from the heat. Transfer the curd to another bowl to coo, then cover it tightly with a layer of plastic wrap. The plastic should be placed directly on top of the curd to prevent a skin from forming as it cools.
- Serve in a bowl alongside the biscotti for dunking or spreading on the biscotti like jam.