Cheese on Toast
Total Time: 30 min
Prep: 15 min
Cook: 15 min
Yield: 16 toasts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme, washed, dried and stemmed
- 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into 16 (1-inch) thick rounds on a bias
- Kosher salt
- 16 ounces fresh, tangy goat cheese, preferably in log form, cut into 16 slices
- Sea salt
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. When the oil begins to smoke lightly, shut off the heat and add the thyme leaves. The thyme should make a crackling sound as it hits the oil, cooking it slightly and mellowing the flavor. Add the bread in a single layer. Turn the heat back on and cook over medium heat until the first side browns, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use a pair of tongs to turn the toasts on their second side and season with kosher salt. Top each round with a slice of cheese and continue cooking them over very low heat or off the heat, an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust the seasonings with sea salt, to taste. Serve alone or alongside soup, if desired.