Yield: 6 servings.
BYOC: Trying to cut calories? You can also make this with all white meat turkey.
- 2 tablespoons garlic olive oil, divided
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground dark meat turkey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground fennel, lightly crushed
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderate heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil until hot but not smoking. Cook shallot, stirring occasionally, until soft about 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl combine the turkey, fennel, red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Using moist hands form turkey into 2-inch patties, making 12 total.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a nonstick skillet over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Working in two batches, cook 6 patties until golden brown, turning once, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Repeat with remaining patties. Serve immediately.