Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat the butter in a large heavy saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until the squash is beginning to caramelize, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the apples and continue to brown, another 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of water and the sugar.
- Cover, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon and cook until the squash and apples are coated in a deep golden brown glaze, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer the stew to a serving bowl and serve.