Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- 1 small Vidalia onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 pounds yellow squash, cut into 1/2 to 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 1 1/4 cups crushed butter crackers, divided
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a heated skillet, cook the onions, adding a little water to prevent them from burning.
- Cook until lightly brown, adding more water, if needed. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and cook until the squash is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise, 1 cup of the cheese and 1 cup of the crumbled crackers. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and top with remaining 1/4 cup of butter crackers.
- Bake until the casserole is bubbly around edges, about 25 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and serve hot.