Yield: 6 servings|
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Inactive Prep Time: 12 hours
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound smoked Creole seasoned sausage (andouille), cut into small pieces
- 2 cups dried red beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 quart water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice (about 3 to 4 cups)
- In a slow cooker, combine the onion, garlic and sausage.
- Stir in the beans and water and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low heat until the beans are tender, about 7 1/2 hours (on high it takes between 3 1/2 to 4 hours).
- Remove 1/4 cup of beans from slow cooker; mash until smooth, then sir them stir back into slow cooker.
- Continue to cook for another 30 minutes on low or 15 minutes on high.
- Remove the beans from the cooker to a serving bowl.
- Serve over cooked rice and enjoy!