Yield: 6: servings.
- 2 thick cut bacon slices, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 (12 oz) small ham steak, diced
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 to 3 ears) or 1 (10 oz) package of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 lb fresh lima beans in pods, shelled (1 1/2 cups), or1 (10 oz) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1 bunch scallions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch pieces, keeping white and pale green parts separate
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon transfer bacon to paper towels to drain, leaving fat in pan. Add ham and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, lima beans, and white and pale green parts of scallions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add water, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer mixture until vegetables are tender and most of the water has reduced about, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in bacon, scallion greens, and salt and pepper to taste.
BYOC: Try adding some red or orange peppers for some extra color.