Yield: 8 servings.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scrape, reserving the bean
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups brandy or bourbon
- freshly grated nutmeg for garnish
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, water, vanilla seeds and pod. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let steep for 15 minutes. Strain mixture and discard vanilla bean.
- Pour 1 cup almond milk, 3/4 cup brandy and half of the vanilla syrup into a cocktail shaker over ice. Shake cocktail until ice cold and then carefully pour into rocks glasses. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Garnish with nutmeg and enjoy!
**What makes this sing: This is the classic hair of the dog in New Orleans. Most bartenders have their own version, but any of them will do the trick.
**Want to really indulge? Whip some cream up with a little superfine sugar and dollop on top. Want to cut some calories? Try making this with almond milk.