Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwich
Yield: 6 servings.
- 1 1/2 cup shredded best quality sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise + extra for grilling
- 1 (4 oz) jars chopped pimentos, drained
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 12 slices brioche bread, lightly toasted
- Pulse the cheese, mayo, pimentos and cayenne in the food processor until just combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Spread mayo on one side of each slice of toasted bread. Arrange 6 slices, mayo side down, on clean work surface. Divide 2 heaping tablespoons of pimento cheese evenly among 6 slices of bread and top with remaining slices of bread, mayo side facing up.
- In a large non-stick skillet over moderate heat cook 3 sandwiches until bread is golden and cheese is starting to melt, about 3 minutes. Turn sandwiches over and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes more. Wipe pan clean and repeat with remaining sandwiches.
What to toss in: if you like your pimento really spicy you can always add some chipotle in adobe sauce to give it a smoky flavor. This can also be used as a entertaining dip. Just arrange some baby carrots and cut up some celery sticks around the cheese. People will be flocking to it.