Yields: 8 servings
BYOC: Top with your favorite fresh berries when in season. If you the time try and make a creamy caramel sauce by using sugar, water and half and half. Be creative and swipe the plate in a creative pattern. Let your inner artist come out.
- 1 cup half-and-half
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- pinch of table salt
- Sprinkle the gelatin over the water in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the half-and-half, sugar, vanilla pods and vanilla seeds. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to dissolve sugar and avoid scorching the milk. Reduce the heat and add the gelatin and buttermilk, strain through a fine sieve, removing vanilla pods and any milk solids.
- Pour mixture into 8 small ramekins and let cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes. Transfer to fridge and chill for 3 hours. To serve, briefly dip the bottoms of the ramekins in warm water and invert onto dessert plates.